Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Repeat after me: Explore, Explore, Explore.

So a lot has happened this week. I’m making another post about some fun things I’ve done recently. My training group had Saturday, Sunday and Monday off, which was pretty wonderful. Saturday was a day of recuperation from the exhaustion of jumping around like a five year old all week. I admit I had way too much fun pretending to be a little Japanese kid when participating in other people’s demo lessons. Perhaps I got a little too into it. Let’s just say my performances were unnecessarily complete with child-like voices and Japan-ized pronunciations of vocabulary words.

Saturday night, I went out with the majority of our 15-person training group. We found some seedy bars playing American pop music in Roppongi Hills. I have never seen so many foreigners in Japan at one time before. I went home early to meet up with my boyfriend so we could hang out at the guest house and watch some movies or something. However, I had stupidly put my room key in my coat pocket, and proceeded to lose it somewhere in Roppongi. I didn’t realize it until we got to my guest house. We spent a good hour or so wandering Koganei-shi (my area, or city, whatever you’d like to call it) looking for a place for me to stay because the guest house office had been closed since 6pm. Apparently no one ever needs a place to stay out here in Koganei. At this point, the trains back to downtown Tokyo had all stopped running, that included any trains back to his home, as well. So we hailed a cab and we went to a nearby town/city called Kokobunji (sure I spelled that wrong.) After wandering and being turned away by three hotels in a row, the fourth time was the charm. The next morning I had to go buy a new key from the guest house’s office. Let’s just say that the night was a bit adventurous, shall we? I don’t like to use the word stressful if I can help it.

Sunday was much better. Wandered Shinjuku (where Tokyo’s “Times square” is located) with the boyfriend, learning about Japanese department stores that carry every product you could ever want or imagine. Amazing. Nobody does department stores better than the Japanese. He also showed me a good bookstore that carries a lot of books in English. Then we went over to an area called Ebisu that had a lot of foreign cuisines: Mexican, Italian, Indian, Chinese. We chose Mexican at this place called Zest Cantina. The interior was basically a saloon. It had balconies that would have been perfect for some cowboy to begin a duel with some of the tougher looking diners below. Lovely ambiance, great food. Extremely un-Japanese. Although, the Japanese version of Mexican food basically means American food. I’m pretty sure Chicken pot pie doesn’t count as Mexican food…not even Tex Mex.

On Monday, I went to a place called Kamakura with four other people from my training group. It was about an hour South from the center of Tokyo, towards the coast. It’s famous for it’s large number of ancient religious temples and a HUMONGOUS Buddha statue. We ended up taking a detour through a long hiking trail. We weren’t exactly prepared for this adventure, but it was pretty beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed the exercise and just being out in nature again. We probably should have had some lunch before undertaking such a trek, but we weren't that smart. After a few hours of getting lost in the woods and trying to work our way southwards towards the great big Buddha, we hopped on a train to a place called Enoshima. There’s a bridge from the mainland to an island where there are many restaurants and you can watch the sun set over the sea. You can also see Mt. Fuji across the water in the distance. It was absolutely stunning. The day ended with a very satisfying Japanese meal at an Izakaya- basically a Japanese sit down bar with really good food. One delightful discovery: REAL Japanese gyoza (dumplings) are a million times better than anything you can get from your freezer, or even a restaurant in the U.S.

Anyway, today was the first day of training for teaching classes at the adult/higher levels. So far, so good. I had to go observe a current teacher while he taught two classes this evening. I sat at the table with him and his four students and basically watched. He let the students try to ask me some questions in English, but they were pretty shy. The age range was about 20’s to 50’s I’d say. Observing the two classes, one after another, was extremely helpful though. Seeing as we don’t actually get to work with any real Japanese students until AFTER training is over, I am very glad we at least get to observe some real classes taught by real teachers to real Japanese students.

After observing the classes, I met up with Yu who invited me to a secret opening at a gallery for a show of collaborative works by Yoshitomo Nara and another Japanese artist named Sugito (I think?). Probably most of you Wash U art kids already know this, but Yoshitomo Nara is an internationally famous Japanese artist. He is represented by the gallery that Yu works for. One of the former employees at Yu’s gallery opened up her own gallery about a year or two ago and tonight she had this show for Nara and Sugito. It was very exciting to be in on this secretive opening. I even got to talk to Nara himself and have my picture taken with him. He knew a bit of English, but Yu says he’s much better at German. Well, who cares, I got to meet Yoshitomo Nara. Take that! Oh, and the art was pretty good too…

4 comments:

Volare said...

Oh! My God! I miss you.
However, you seem to be having a really great time, so I'm quite happy for you. When I'm writing these comments I always have so much to say, I should start taking notes while I read.
1) I can hear and see you acting like a little Japanese student.
2) I can confirm that chicken pot pie is neither Mexican nor Tex-Mex.
3) Crazy adventures like loosing keys...Did I ever tell you I accidentally threw my apartment keys into the recycling bins in Italy? That was fun.
4) That trip you took to the trees and ocean sounds amazing. I am envisioning myself there right now...
5) Sounds like Yu is getting quite the experience at the gallery. I hope you both get to continue to immerse yourselves in sweet Japanese art-world. I can't wait 'till you two have your own secret gallery opening. You could do a performance piece where you throw the letter B at the audience! Ok...

Volare said...

P.S. "You pay me, nooooow!"

cristina said...

catecatecate,

so much fun. i can also hear your little kid voices, and ale, i do remember your italy key story. giant bamboo forests and special restaurant islands with views of the setting sun sound amazing. and i have those nara postcards, heh.

word up to you and yu... he he he.

Caitlin said...

yeah, the nara postcard- mean looking little kid stuff wasn't really what was in the show. it was basically colaborative paintings and drawings by Nara and Sugito. The show was called Chaguin- as in they were trying to combine the styles of Chagall and Gauguin. As if those two were the ones who were making collaborative works. The paintings had a lot of human butts and other genitalia in them, but it was all very colorful and childlike. It was very amusing/cute. I just put that pic of the nara postcards cause i knew that people would know that stuff of Nara's.