Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I just want some ice cream...

Every morning for the past month I have woken up to what sounds like an ice cream truck passing by. Every morning I've dreamed of running outside and joining the neighborhood kids as they get some delicious ice cream. And now every morning I have to remind myself that it's not an ice cream truck, it's a garbage truck.

I'm crushed.


Why does the garbage truck play a sweet little tune that sounds appropriate for an ice cream truck? I don't know. I do know that they seem to be very fond of playing little ditties whenever possible here. Each subway station has it's own cute little tune that plays-- sometimes multiple tunes depending on what's happening. Oh, the train is pulling in- play one tune. The train is leaving, another tune. A train should show up eventually but not sure when, who really knows?, play another. They often sound like video game versions of traditional Japanese songs.

There's also a song that plays every time the walk sign lights up at this intersection near where I live. So as I'm crossing the street every day, I rock out to a digitized version of an old traditional Japanese song. It's splendid.

3 comments:

Volare said...

More cities should think to incorporate sound as a means of building community...
I laughed pretty loudly when I read, "And now every morning I have to remind myself that it's not an ice cream truck, it's a garbage truck." I'm sorry I laughed at your disillusionment. I give you permission to laugh at my own.

Owen said...

Caitlin,

I couldn't help but think of you when I saw this:
http://www.ucbcomedy.com/videos/play/606

Caitlin said...

wow... that was ridiculously explicit, and yet they somehow made the poopoo so very cute. only the japanese could accomplish such a thing. thanks owen.